Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Feeling Fit

Last summer, we bought a Wii Fit to go with our Nintendo Wii Game system. I loved the idea of working out in my own home. We live in the boonies and I think the nearest gym is 15 miles or more away (I could be wrong; I've never looked). I'm not one for working out around other people. I get pretty self-conscious.

In the past year, I gained enough so that my favorite jeans didn't fit me. A few years ago, when Robert & I lost weight on the South Beach diet, I donated the clothes I'd shrunk out of and swore I would never be in those sizes again. When my favorite jeans got too tight, I started doing the Wii Fit workouts, which were going quite well until I banged my bum knee one day and workouts were too painful. Then the holidays hit and I did a lot of baking. And ate a lot of the baked yummies.

When Mariko was home at Christmas, she told me about Coolrunning.com's Couch-to-5K Running Plan. I decided that once the holiday's were over, I would make my health and fitness a priority. I realized that I could make a bunch of excuses why I couldn't exercise, but the one reason to exercise was more compelling.... I want to live a healthy long life (okay- maybe 2 reasons.... a long healthy life and fit into my favorite jeans!). Sure, there were days I didn't want to get up, or I had some aches or pains, major headaches, start of a cold, but I knew if I gave in to one excuse, the next time there'd be another excuse, etc.

So I began the Running Plan, after Robert fixed our 8 year old treadmill. Heh heh heh.. the treadmill.... I have to digress a bit here and tell you about buying the treadmill eight years ago.

When William was nearly a year old, I thought it might be time to try to shed some of the pregnancy weight. After deciding the best option to get some exercise was to buy a treadmill, Robert & I loaded the kids in the car and headed to a sporting goods store. We looked at the various models, compared features and prices, and finally decided on one that was within our price range. We went to the register to pay for it, but our debit card was declined. We knew we had more than enough money in the bank, so the clerk ran it again... declined. Bewildered and slightly embarrassed because we knew we had enough in the bank, the clerk said a code came up that we needed to call the 800 number for the card. While I kept the kids occupied, Robert talked to the customer service person for our account. Fifteen minutes later he walked over and explained what happened. Our purchase of exercise equipment threw up a warning flag on our account because we have never bought any kind of exercise anything since we opened our account many years before. The bank wanted to make sure that someone hadn't stolen our debit card, so Robert had to verify with the person on the phone that he was indeed Robert. What's more embarrassing~ that the card had been declined, or that the purchase had set off a flag because we had been such couch potatoes? Purchase completed and Robert tied the box to the roof of the mini-van. We headed home, laughing that yet again, one of our major purchases would have a great story to accompany it (oh, yes, we've got stories).

So, that's the story of our treadmill. The sad thing is, I really hadn't used it much over the years, and for the longest time, it was being used as either a towel rack or basement coat tree.

Not anymore.

I'm currently on week 7 of the Couch-to-5K Running Plan, and have only missed one or two days on the Wii Fit since mid-January, because I was away from home. Recently I bought My Fitness Coach program for the Wii. I love it and I love what all this is doing for me. I'm feeling fit, more energized, less blah about the lack of sun, and I can wear 4 of my favorite 5 pairs of jeans again! My next fitness program for the Wii will be the EA Sports Active, which is due to be released in May. I'm determined to be be down to my goal weight and size by my 48th birthday in June. I'll get there too.